JungleMail | Configuring subscription functionality
It can be useful to offer your users a Newsletter subscription service. With JungleMail for SharePoint you can do this in SharePoint. Simply start by creating a page, dedicated to this purpose. If you plan to send newsletters to external users or mobile devices, this page should be anonymously accessible from the internet.
The subscription management page with the “JungleMail Subscription” Web Part will allow users to subscribe, unsubscribe or manage their Newsletter subscription on topics of interests. This tutorial is partitioned into five separate steps. These are as following:
- Creating a Page and adding the Web Part
- Configuring the JungleMail Subscription Web Part
- Entering the Subscription page URL in JungleMail Site Collection Settings
- Enabling Subscriptions management and Topics management
- Creating subscription topic groups and topics in JungleMail
Understanding environment requirements
When setting up your Newsletter subscription service it is useful to understand the specific requirements of your environment. If you are using JungleMail internally, on a Windows domain for example, then it is still recommended to use an external SharePoint page with anonymous access. This is to ensure it will work properly with mobile devices and different email clients. However, if email applications are able to exchange login details, an internally accessible page will work just fine.
To publish page externally, for access by non-employees or from unauthenticated devices, we recommend creating an empty Site Collection on a new Web Application with two pages. One for tracking and another one for unsubscribe and subscription management. It is also necessary to activate the EnovaPoint JungleMail Publishing Web Part site collection feature "JungleMail Tracking and Subscriptions Web Parts" for your Web Part gallery. You should enable this feature on the Site Collection you are going to place Web Parts in.
Note: For more information on how to create a new Site Collection, please refer to our tutorials Creating a publicly accessible SharePoint site and Deploying JungleMail to external site collection for tracker and subscription Web Parts.
1. Creating a Page and adding the Web Part
Note: Subscriptions and Tracker Web Parts have to be placed in separate pages.
To create a new page:
1. Go to Settings and click “Add a page”.
2. Enter the name and click Create.
3. Insert the “JungleMail Subscription” Web Part to the newly created page. You will find the Web Part in the EnovaPoint Web Parts' folder.
2. Configuring the JungleMail Subscription Web Part
| 1. Choose the JungleMail Core location. You should choose/specify the location from which JungleMail is operating and where its system lists are located.
| 2. Choose how to see new subscribers. If you choose to see new subscribers as External users, they will always be asked for their email address when subscribing. If you choose Internal, the JungleMail Subscription Web Part will try to resolve user information from a SharePoint login. Enter the address of the user responsible for the functioning of JungleMail subscriptions. If the Web Part fails to connect to your main site collection, it will notify the user via E-mail.
The appearance of the Web Part can be edited from the JungleMail site collection options. To do this click “Update Look and Feel” to refresh the Web Part. JungleMail updates Look and Feel automatically each 12 hours.
Important: Update Web Part Look and feel every time you change its appearance in Site Collection settings.
3. Entering the Subscription page URL in JungleMail Site Collection Settings
This URL will be placed in the email body when sending group emails.
1. Go to the Site Collection settings. Click EnovaPoint JungleMail Site Collection Settings.
Note: If you choose “Current Site Collection” in the Web Part options, JungleMail will automatically add the page URL to the Site Collection settings.
2. Enter the URL (external address) of the Subscriptions page that you previously created.
4. Enabling Subscriptions management and Topics management
Please make sure that you enabled Subscription and Topics management in JungleMail Site Collection settings.
1. To find these settings, open Settings and click Site Settings.
2. Under Site Collection Administration, click EnovaPoint JungleMail Site Collection Settings.
3. At the bottom of the page, enable Subscribe, unsubscribe and the subscription management functionality. Also enable subscription on topics of interest.
Now we can move on to creating subscription topics.
5. Creating subscription topic groups and topics in JungleMail
1. Navigate to "JungleMail Topics" SharePoint list, which is located on the Site Collection root site (Home).
2. Use "Add new item" to add new topics.
3. To group topics, use the "Parent Topic" column. For ordering use the "Position" column with order numbering.
4. You can now open your subscriptions page and all of the topics should be available in the Web Part. If they are not, you might need to update the Look and Feel of the Web Part. To do this, edit the Web Part and click “Update Look and Feel” for the changes to take immediate effect. In the example below, the Subscription Web Part for Internal users is used:
5. The appearance of your Subscriptions Web Part can be edited in JungleMail Site Collection Settings to match your requirements.
Note: After you edit the Web Part's appearance, you must go to the page where the Web Part is located, edit the page, edit the Web Part and click “Update Look and Feel” for the changes to take immediate effect. If you do not do this, the Web Part will retain its previously cached appearance.