JungleMail | Sending newsletters
Now that you have installed JungleMail for SharePoint, have activated its features and enabled the built-in templates, it is finally time to start creating your first campaign. In this quick tutorial you will learn how to start sending newsletters.
(Using SharePoint 2010? Then consult the tutorial dedicated to sending newsletters in SharePoint 2010.)
When sending newsletters in JungleMail you have total control. You decide what your email looks like, how personalized it should be and the exact time or times that it should be send to your recipients. On this positive note, let's start.
1. To begin, navigate to the contact list that includes the recipients you want to email.
2. Select the recipients that you want to include. If you want to include all the recipients in the current view, do not select any; the entire current view will now be used.
3. Run JungleMail by clicking the JungleMail button in the ribbon.
A new JungleMail newsletter window will now pop up. In the Recipients tab you can edit all recipient-related information.
- Campaign title. Give your new campaign a recognizable title. (In the example below we chose Welcome to JungleMail Newsletter).
- From and Reply-To addresses.
- The recipient source by default is “SharePoint list” and is populated automatically using the current URL. If necessary, you can click the Browse button and specify a different SharePoint list. You can also use a Subscribers list or enter SharePoint and AD groups.
- In the 'Recipient list column' drop-down list, select the SharePoint list column containing e-mail addresses of the recipients. (This is automatically selected when opening a new campaign).
Additional conditions allow you to specify the topics your recipients should be subscribed to to receive your newsletter.
- If necessary, you may also specify additional recipients of the current group e-mail in the 'Additional recipients' section.
- Exclusion filters allow you to exclude certain recipients. Simply click on Add to include a new exclusion filter. In this way you can exclude recipients from previous jobs, recipients in other lists’ views, or simply by entering emails. You can use *@domain.com to exclude all emails for a given domain.
- In the Recipients Summary you have a quick overview of your campaign's recipients.
After you have selected all the intended recipients and have finished setting the necessary filters, click Next.
4. You can now select an existing template. If you are feeling creative you can start from scratch and build your own. Once you have selected an existing or empty template click Next again. This will open the Drag & Drop template builder.
The builder lets you create original, colorful email messages, simply by dragging and dropping text boxes and images. In other words this means that HTML code skills are no longer required to create beautiful and effective campaigns. Find out more about the Drag & Drop builder here.
Wonder what your email will look like whilst you are busy editing? Click on Preview to get an impression of what it will look like on desktops and mobile devices. From the Preview tab you will also be able to send a test email to yourself.
Once you have finished creating your newsletter, click 'Next' again.
5. In the Settings/Send tab you can edit the following sending preferences:
- In the What to do field you can start a workflow for each sent email.
- In the When to execute field you can indicate whether the message should be sent immediately or at a specified date and time in the future.
- In the Recurrence field you can set the campaign to repeat itself at preset times.
- In the Send blind copy (BCC) to field you can specify one or several e-mail addresses that will receive a blind copy of your message.
- If the checkbox in the Group e-mail report field is checked, the job author will receive a report after the campaign has been sent.
- By checking the boxes in the 'Tracking' section you can track how many recipients opened your email and clicked the links in it. (Note: If you are using the default settings, these check boxes will be disabled. In order to use this function, you have to configure the tracker settings. If you need help with this, consult the JungleMail tracker configuration guide.)
Once you are finished configuring all options, you can click Send now.
6. You will now be re-directed to the History & Monitoring tab. Here you will see your current campaign among the running and scheduled jobs. Use the Refresh button to monitor the current state of the job.
After the campaign has been sent to all recipients, it will be placed in your History. You can later re-use the recipients' list and/or the content of the sent campaign.
7. Finally, in the Analysis & Reports tab you can check the tracking statistics. Here you will see the total number of e-mail messages sent, the number of the recipients who opened your email message, clicked on the links, as well as the number of the recipients who unsubscribed from your list. You can filter the results or export them to csv.