JungleDocs | Using From Existing rules
In this tutorial you will learn:
- What From Existing rules are
- How to create From Existing rules
- How to use From Existing rules to create documents
1. What is a From Existing rule?
From Existing rules let you use the metadata of a selected list item to create a new document or list item in JungleDocs for SharePoint. In other words, a From existing rule is a command to create a specific document or list item by using the data present in a specific list or document(s).
An example of a From existing rule would be Create a quotation.
Things to know about From Existing rules:
- They can be found under the From existing tab in JungleDocs
- They use selected documents/items for creating new documents
- They can be configured to work in tandem with Small Parts (configured via Base rule)
2. Creating a From existing rule
- Navigate to the From Existing tab in JungleDocs.
- To add a From Existing rule click New From existing rule.
- A new window will now open, prompting the user to configure the new rule.
- Below you can see some of the configuration options you are presented with when creating a new rule:
Target location and Base rule
Select whether documents created using this Rule will be saved to a list or library or should be downloaded.
Also, select the Base rule you want to use for this rule. It will take the configuration from this rule.
Here you will select the document template that, when running the rule, will be filled with Small Parts to create a new and unique document.
Either select the document template that is assigned to the base rule template, or upload one that you created specifically for this rule. Learn more about creating Document templates here.
Copy column values
Decide what column values you want to be copied into the new document.
Set column values
Decide what column values you want to be copied into the new document. Here you can merge the data from different columns for your new file or use mail merge to create new data.
Some examples of formulas you could fill in here and the results they will give you:
Price * AmountResult:
500(Note: Price and Amount are columns in source item. Price is 100 and Amount is 5)
Price + DeliveryCostsResult:
110(Note: Price and DeliveryCosts are columns in source item. Price is 100 and DeliveryCosts is 10)
5. Once you have configured your new From existing rule, click OK to save it. You are now done and can select the new rule from the From existing tab in JungleDocs.
3. Using a From Existing rule
- Navigate to the library or list where you want to create your new documents/list items.
- Select the documents/list items you want to use data from to create your new list items/documents.
- Select JungleDocs from the ribbon.
- Click on the required From existing rule to run it.
- This will prompt a new window to open. Select the parts you want to be included in your document and click OK.
- A new window will open. This window contains the information for the document, its name and any additional notes. Most of the fields will have been filled in by JungleDocs already, as pre-configured in the rule.
- Click Save and the new document will be generated and stored on your SharePoint (or downloaded, depending on the rule settings).